Translate

Saturday, June 15, 2013

My supports

In my daily life I am lucky to be surrounded by supports. I live in a suburb of a large city so access to all amenities is easy. The supermarket is across the street. The metro station to get the train to work is a 5 minute drive or a 20 minute walk. I have a family doctor, a chiropractor and a massage therapist within walking distance of my home. My home is safe and well designed. All these physical supports ensure that I can live my life free from fear and secure in the knowledge that anything I need is available to me. I also have supports in the form of a stable job for myself and my husband. We do not need to worry about paying the mortgage or getting groceries. There are also emotional supports in my life. My husband is my rock and I'm very lucky to have found him. I am secure in his love for me and in my love for him. I know he supports me with whatever I want to do. As a case in point, this master's program is difficult for him to understand. Book learning and school were never that important to him. Even so, he supports me in whatever way I need in order for me to complete my course work. My family, although they are far away, are another form of emotional support. Just knowing they are there gives me strength. My work colleagues, many of whom are also my friends, provide professional support. They understand what is happening because they are right there with me.

The challenge that I chose is an invisible one. Depression is more prevalent than many people realize. The Canadian Mental Health Association describes depression as someone who "is grappling with feelings of severe despair over an extended period of time." (2013). Symptoms include a loss of interest in activities and withdrawal from social situations. A lack of energy and either insomnia or excessive sleeping can also be signs of depression. Changes in appetite, feelings of sadness, anxiety and guilt, complaining of not feeling well with no identifiable cause and, in extreme cases, thoughts of suicide are all symptoms of depression. The supports needed for this condition are a diagnosis from a doctor so that it is recognized and addressed. As a person with depression I would need a qualified person to whom I could talk without fear. I would also need emotional support and acceptance from my family and friends. I would need understanding and accommodation from my employer. Without these supports, I would most likely deteriorate and be unable to lead a normal life. In a worse case scenario, I might try to kill myself because I see no other way out.

References

Canadian Mental Health Association. (2013). Facts about depression and bipolar disorder. Retrieved from http://www.cmha.ca/mental_health/facts-about-depression-and-bipolar-disorder/#.UbxuTMsaySM

3 comments:

  1. hi jennifer,
    I have read your post and I love it. It is filled with a lot of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jennifer I enjoyed reading your post. You are blessed not to have to worry about paying the mortgage and buying groceries as so many people are. You are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer,
    You are also very blessed. To have such support from your husband and family is not as common as people think. So cherish your your husband and the support he offer to you. You mentioned that he does not fully understand your desire for your pursuit of your education. Have you shared your future goals with him? I know that having unconditional support from someone you care about is great. However, maybe if your husband understood more about why you are taking these studies and where you are going with them, he could offer some input along with his support. I am very happy for you that you have been blessed with so much. Take care and enjoy what God has blessed you with.

    ReplyDelete