Translate

Saturday, January 18, 2014

My personal research journey

         The questions that interest me revolve around language learning in young children. My own background contributes to this as does my current situation. I'm from Canada which has 2 official languages, Engish and French. When I started school at age 4 my parents decided that I should learn in French even though we are an English-speaking family. So I did my schooling until grade 9 mostly in French. In university I chose to continue and majored in French immersion elementary education. Although I now rarely use my French, I know it has helped me to pick up enough Spanish to live for 2 years in the Dominican Republic. Having a second language also made it easier for me to become proficient in a third when I settled in the Netherlands. I now work in an international school where 9 out of 10 children don't speak any Engish or Dutch when they come to us. I am interested in how they learn so that I can better help them when they arrive. I want to find out what strategies work best. I also want to know what long term benefits can come from learning a second language early in life. I want to know why some children seem to have a much easier time than others. I know I won't be able to answer all these questions at once. The scope is too broad and must be narrowed to a manageable research question (Mac Naughton & Rolfe, 2010).

          One tip that I got from the chapter on the research process this week was the recommendation to keep a detailed record of what articles and other resources you've used both for the literature review and other reasons (Mac Naughton & Rolfe, 2010). This seemed obvious once I'd read it but it is not something that I think of doing as I'm reading or listening to something.

References

Mac Naughton, G., Rolfe, S.A., & Siraj-Blatchford, I. (2010). Doing early childhood research: International perspectives on theory and practice (2nd ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I am impressed with your knowledge of languages! I look forward to reading more about your exploration of language in the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer I enjoyed reading your posts. I think it is awesome that you know several languages. I too have noticed that when children start learning English they tend to loose their "native" dialect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer I enjoyed reading your post. I think it is great that you know several languages. I also agree that when children begin to learn English thy start to loose their native dialect.

    ReplyDelete