Translate

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

When I think of research ...

Research is hard work. There are so many things to consider and to decide before the data gathering even starts. It is vitally important that the question your study asks is specific enough to be researchable. A very broad topic will means that time and resources needed will become unmanageable.

I was very interested to read and learn about qualitative methods of research. Before this course I usually equated research with statistics and quantitative data. I've learned that research takes a lot of planning. Hayes writes about "[t]he 'what' and 'how' of research" (2010, p 105) as the first steps in research design. After these points have been addressed the researcher must decide on when, where and who. All these aspects need to be decided before the study begins so that the findings reflect a 'true' answer to the question or questions being asked.

I found it very difficult to complete the tasks for the research simulation. The theoretical nature of the assignments challenged me to think in a different way. To meet this challenge I tried to incorporate the feedback I received into the next task.

Thank you to everyone who came on this journey with me. I appreciate your comments and your thoughts on the different topics we've discussed. Good luck with your future studies.

References

Mac Naughton, G., Rolfe, S.A., & Siraj-Blatchford, I. (2010). Doing early childhood research: International perspectives on theory and practice (2nd ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad to know that someone else found the simulation difficult as well! I started off alright and then it all became confusing and I had to break it down into small pieces and attempt to piece it back together again in a way that it would work...sigh...Congrats on making it to week 8! Good luck on your studies!

    ReplyDelete