Translate

Friday, September 27, 2013

Sharing web resources - part 2

This week I was looking at the publications that are linked to the website I chose. I found a publication called "Childhood Education". This month's issue is all about character education. The articles look at programs for character education from around the world. What interested me even more was a link to "A Celebration of Childhood Education". This link provided "thought-provoking articles from past issues" (Association for Childhood Education International, n.d.). Two of these articles caught my attention because I found the titles interesting but also because they seemed to fit in with this week's issue of scientific, economic and political arguments for the funding of early childhood education.

In the article "The Changing Culture of Childhood: A Perfect Storm" the author points out three interrelated elements that are challenging the institute of childhood. These three elements are the standardization of schooling, the dissolution of spontaneous play and the impact of poverty. When discussing the standardization of schooling, Frost examines how the No Child Left Behind Act is putting pressure on schools, teachers and children to achieve high standards to the detriment of creativity and individuality (2007). The high stakes testing that accompanies NCLB has created an idea that play must be sacrificed in order to be ready for the tests. This and a complicated and inconsistent document outlining national playground safety standards have led to many children not having the time or the creative space they need to play without direct adult supervision. The issue of poverty is also a huge factor in the change in childhood.

The second article I read was also about a change in childhood. It looked at how parental fear can keep children from playing in the same way as during the golden age of childhood between 1950 and 1975. Parental anxiety increased with more information instead of decreased. One argument I found particularly interesting was the role of expert in parental anxiety. Sutterby finds that "These experts have played a part in increasing parental anxiety by making parents uncertain of their own common sense." (2009, p 291). I see this in the families that I work with. Expert advice says that when a child has an elevated temperature they are sick. So the child stays home even though he is bouncing around and playing as normal.

I found the article on parental anxiety especially enlightening. Teaching at an international school gives me a glimpse into many different cultures. I can see what behaviours in children and in their parents may be cultural and which behaviours are universal. Parental anxiety is different in each culture.

References
Frost, J. (2007). The changing culture of childhood: A perfect storm. Childhood Education, Summer, 225-230. Retrieved from http://www.acei.org/childhood-education/a-celebration-of-childhood-education.html

Sutterby, J. (2009). What kids don't get to do anymore and why. Childhood Education, Annual Theme 2009, 289-292. Retrieved from http://www.acei.org/childhood-education/a-celebration-of-childhood-education.html

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer,

    I can really identify with the parental anxiety issue. I wish so much that my kids could walk, ride their bikes, and take the bus everywhere as I did when I was a child. I am too afraid, however. Even with eliminating these things, I find plenty of reasons to be anxious. What are the different forms anxiety takes in the parents you know?

    Liz Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer,
    I agree that parents are more anxious about their children's safety. I believe that children should have the freedom to play and explore but they should always be supervised. I do not have children yet so I do not know how I would feel as a parent; however I am usually anxious when my students are outside in the playground, but I keep a close eye on them and always remind them to be careful! I have also noticed that some children are afraid to play because their parents made them so afraid of hurting themselves!
    Thank you for sharing!
    Ghayna Alsafadi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer,

    I enjoyed reading Sutterby's article. It discusses a great conflict that affects children and families these days. I agree that parents anxiety might deprive children of experiencing many outdoor activities which are essential for their growth and development. Unfortunately, this anxiety is required in order to protect children. I believe growing anxiety is a normal result of growing societies and living in huge cities. This is one of the taxes we are paying for living a modern life.

    Rawana

    ReplyDelete