Translate

Saturday, January 24, 2015

How I communicate (EDUC 6165)

On a weekly basis I come in to contact with many different groups of people. I have different ways of communicating with each of them. With my family I'm informal, I joke and tease, I rant and I rave. With my colleagues I am more professional although we still have lots of laughs. With the parents of the children in my class I am more formal. I don't use as much slang and I try to use simple, clear language, especially the ones who don't speak English very well.

In the book "50 strategies for communicating and working with diverse families" Gonzalez-Mena (2010) advises teachers on how to improve communication with families from different cultures. In the chapter "Understanding and appreciating cultural differences" the author writes "When something about a family's practices really bothers you, try to look at what they are doing through their eyes instead of your own." (Gonzalez-Mena, 2010, p 37). This made me think about my knee jerk response to some family practices. I know that this reaction sometimes causes misunderstandings when I'm talking to parents.

In the chapter "Looking at nonverbal communication across cultures" Gonzalez-Mena (2010) discusses how gestures and movements can be interpreted differently by different cultures. The author advises us to "[r]ecognize your own patterns of nonverbal behavior." (Gonzalez-Mena, 2010, p 81). I know that I need to be more aware of the gestures and facial expressions that I use when I speak and listen. This is especially true when I'm speaking with the children in my class as they are looking at me as a role model for English communication.

The chapter in the book "Real communication: An introduction" (2012) I read about perceptual barriers, one of which is stereotyping. This is a third area for improvement. I need to think about the person I'm talking to as an individual and not as a collection of traits and traditions. I need to make sure I understand what a specific tradition might mean to one family rather than what it means to the whole culture.

Applying the Platinum Rule will help with all three of these areas of communication. By putting myself in the shoes of the other person I can try to see things from another perspective.

References

Gonzalez-Mena, J. (2010). 50 strategies for communicating and working with diverse families. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc. 36-38 & 80-81.

O'Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012). Real communication: An introduction. New York: Bedford/St. Martin's. 42-46.

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer,
    Our cultural differences are key when communicating with others. As Mena Gonzalez states,” we must first “understand and appreciate cultural differences” (Gonzalez-Mena, 2010, p 37) to effectively communicate. The “Platinum Rule” is so important when communicating with people in general.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer, I usually stay the same with all cultural groups that I interact with. I laugh and joke because I feel that all of us need more merriment in our life. I am most reserved with the elderly and people I am introduced to. Mainly because I have to get to know strangers before I will fully interact with them and because I love to listen to the elders talk. They have such rich history and wonderful life stories. I turn into a listener, especially with my grandfather and his brother. Their memories are amazing! I believe in treating people with respect and kindness and I would think this would be a part of their platinum rule.

    ReplyDelete