Translate

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Nonverbal communication (EDUC 6165)

This was a difficult assignment for me because I completely forgot that most English language shows here have subtitles. It's very difficult not to read the subtitles which  of course give more information than just the pictures do. So then I watched a Dutch language show with no subtitles. It was a cop show similar to many that I watch in English. However the pacing is different than American shows so it took some getting used to. With the sound off it was fairly easy to determine relationships between the characters in the scene. It was much harder to connect characters from different scenes to each other. There was more than one storyline and until I heard the dialogue I couldn't connect how they related to each other. My assumptions were correct for some relationships but I couldn't make the broader connections until the sound was back. If it was a show I knew well I'd know which characters fit where, who is a regular part of the show and how they interact with each other. Without verbal cues it was hard to follow the storyline that jumped from place to place and had new sets of characters in each setting. The dialogue adds layers of meaning to the body language observed. It's important to interpret both to have a complete understanding of the communication taking place. This is also true in conversations in the real world. You can not rely on only one form of communication.

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer, you are right about this week assignment when interpreting the message people are conveying without hearing them verbally. Nonverbal communication using gestures, body language or facial expressions can be taken out of context. That is why effective communication needs at least 2 forms of communication skills and at times it takes all three verbal, nonverbal and effective listening. These are lesson learned in this weeks’ assignment.
    Good post and good insight on the show you watched.
    Shelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that familiar shows on mute are easier to intepret than new shows. I thought I had a fairly good intepretation of the relationships of the characters, but I was maybe 40% right. A few of the scenes were funny on mute, but watching and listening made those same scenes hilarious. Spoken language is interesting, because you here the 'fire' or 'innocence behind the spoken words, but facial expressions and gestures can sometimes be misconstrued.

    ReplyDelete